Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Why knights?

I have found a fascinating website which wrestles with the very question that I've been fighting with for the last two weeks: what does a knight look like in modern America? They are apparently a combination historical reenactment group, junior league of the Society for Creative Anachronisms, and martial arts class. It's fascinating to me, because they affirm so completely so much that is Christian, and yet they deny Christianity. It is well worth browsing through what they have up. http://www.chronique.com

I have had questions from several people why I even bother with the knighthood thing. If my ideal for manliness is essentially "Christian virtue," and knighthood takes much defining before it's a useful term, why not just call what I'm talking about "Christian virtue" and have done with it?

I think I would reply that it is because somehow knighthood resonates with people. It's an medium, an analogy or picture if you will, that simply communicates Truth to them. It's like the thesis that every culture has a key to the gospel: a saying or a concept that is a powerful expresser. God also gives individuals their own desires, bents, and things that will communicate to them.

There are also people who don't resonate with knighthood. That's fine. The gospel will just have to get to them another way. :-)

No comments: