Tuesday, January 04, 2005

SUBCREATOR MOMENT!!!

HA! I just sewed a skirt, and I am so having a she-saw-what-she-had-made-and-behold-it-was-very-good moment! :-)

I hereby apply Tolkien’s doctrine of subcreation to sewing. It belongs to God alone to create out of nothing,* but isn’t it a great blessing to be able to rearrange what's there? It’s even more fun when you can make do with materials at hand, rather than going out and buying them: this particular skirt is made of dust ruffle remnants and hook-and-eyes remaining from my mouse clothes era.

This skirt has many virtues (in my humble opinion), a few of which I shall mention:
1. It is red. It is very red. No, I really don’t need another red skirt, but—well, the fabric was just sitting there, begging to be sewn. I couldn’t refuse.
2. It fits me.
3. It is long.
4. It is modest.
5. I and it look good together. I love it when that happens.
6. I don't have anything like it, style-wise.
7. I had the fun of making it. :-)


*Remember the joke about the show-off scientist who told God he could create a human being just as well as He did? When he started, God interrupted him: "Get your own dirt!"

No comments: