Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Bookses

I have finished three books in the last few days: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Dante's Paradise, and Augustine's Confessions. I am a happy camper.

Confessions: read them. Augustine is excellent much of the time. The most peculiar thing (to me) was his frequent flights of allegorical interpretation, which is a thing we just don't do much. At least, I thought that until I was reading some Spurgeon and discovered that's his method, too...

Half-Blood Prince: the minimum reading age for the series--at least, as far as I would let my hypothetical kids read them--just jumped a couple years. It's good. It's not so dark as Order of the Phoenix, and has some really good stuff, but it also has certain content issues. Alas. For the record, I don't approve of sixteen-year-olds "snogging"...

Paradise: Alas, just when it was getting really good, we spend three cantos mostly praising Mary! Jesus may be the Main Point, but He's barely there!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So...if you do not support "snogging" at age 16 at what age do you support it pray tell?

~Lady Ancilla

Brooks Lampe said...

is that Paradise Lost (Milton) you're talking about?

Ruhamah said...

My sentiments exactly on Paradise: too much praising Mary.

Keep reading and reporting. Your reviews are much fun to read!

Pinon Coffee said...

I am inclined to agree with Firinnteine on snogging. :-) My grandma got married at 17...

Thanks for the encouragement, Ruhamah. :-) I will certainly keep blogging if I have something resembling a fan base!!

No, sorry. Dante's Paradise. I've been trying to read his trilogy since--oh, I was in Hell (so to speak) summer of 2001, so that puts it back a bit. In fact, before this summer I had read Hell twice, Purgatory once, and Paradise not at all; which didn't seem right, somehow.