Tuesday, December 13, 2005

"Cinderella Man" is a good movie

Well, we had an adventure last night. It really shouldn't have been that difficult...

Jonathan's been telling me since last summer that "Cinderella Man" is a really good movie. I was in the mood for a movie and thought that sounded goodish, and he's been thinking we needed to watch it sometime this week, so Maggie and Gabi and Jonathan and I decided to watch it.

Jonathan said Andrew had a copy, so we headed down to Dorm 5 to acquire said movie. The lounge was busy till seven. It was about twenty till, so Gabi and I went upstairs and played air hockey.

When the second game was 1-2 (Gabi's favor), Jonathan came up and said Andrew had lent "Cinderella Man" to Sam. Sam lives off-campus. This posed a difficulty.

Gabi: "Doesn't anyone else have a copy?"

Jonathan: "Not really. We could call Sam and make him bring it over."

Me: "That sounds like a good idea."

Jeremy, who just walked in: "Why aren't you playing air hockey?"

Me: "We're talking!"

Jeremy: "Oh. Jonathan, here, let's play ping-pong."

Jonathan: "I'm talking too!"

Jeremy: "Oh." Jeremy goes and plays Halo.

Jonathan wanders downstairs to call Sam. Gabi and I play about two more points before the table's automatic timer shuts it off. Oh well. We start over.

We win a game each and head downstairs. Maggie is sitting in a chair studying logic. We join her. Jonathan wanders out and joins us.

Jonathan: "I got Sam's cell phone number, but he didn't answer." That's inconvenient. "Do we want to watch something else?" Not really. "We could rent it." Yes, but that costs money.

Gabi: "I've been wanting to watch 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith.'"

Me: "Me too!"

Jonathan: "I'm not sure it's allowed, and Daniel's not answering his cell phone either."

Gabi: "You're an RA. Can't you make a decision? They trust your judgment!"

Jonathan: "Yes, but I don't know what the right decision is."

Gabi: "Then decide to do it! It's fine!"

Jonathan: "But that would be you deciding, and they didn't make you an RA, did they?"

Gabi: "I didn't WANT to be an RA!"

Two or three people wander through. We ask them if they've got any good movies. They list their collections, all of which we've either seen or don't want to see. We really wanted to watch "Cinderella Man." Finally we decide to rent the thing after all.

Me: "Does anyone have any money?" They had money. I didn't, since I left my purse and cell phone in the dorm, not expecting to want it for a Novel final, but I'll pay them back. Jonathan went to borrow Ben's car. Maggie went and retrieved her Blockbuster card. We go to Purcellville.

First we miss the normal turn-off to Blockbuster and have to go through the parking lot of Giant. We successfully get to Blockbuster. We go in. All their copies of "Cinderella Man" are rented out.

All four of us: "Woe and sadness! Alas!"

Me: "Now that we're in Purcellville, we could go to Sam's and ask to have the movie back."

Jonathan: "Where does he live?"

Me, waving hand: "Over there somewhere."

Nobody knows where exactly, and nobody has a cell phone, either. We go to Movie Gallery. I get to the door first.

Me: "There's a sign on the door that says they're all rented out for "Cinderella Man."

Jonathan: "Aargh!"

Maggie: "Grr!"

Me: "Just teasing." We go in. We find the shelf and they really are all rented out.

All four of us: "Woe and sadness! Alas!"

Now what? We are not good at making entertainment decisions! We wander the aisles like lost souls. I suggest about eight movies I've got some interest in, and everybody sort of goes, "Eh...." and the suggestions die.

Gabi: "We could rent 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith.'"

Jonathan: "If you can get permission from Daniel!"

Me: "Jonathan, I've given my opinion. Will you kindly make a decision?"

Jonathan: "All right. You liked 'Sky Captain'?"

Me: "Yes."

Jonathan: "I think Ben has it, but he might have left it at home over Thanksgiving." He goes and borrows the Movie Gallery phone to call him and find out.

Meanwhile, Gabi asks the lady if by any weird, strange, remote chance someone just turned in a copy we could rent.

Lady: "Oh, sure. I just now put a copy on the shelf."

Gabi: "THANK YOU!"

!!!!!

We get the movie. We interrupt Jonathan's conversation with Ben. Jonathan tries to rent the movie.

Lady: "What's your name? ...You're not in the computer. We'll have to open an account for you. Do you have ID? Do you have another form of ID? There. It's due back in five days. Do you want a bag? Your first rental is free."

!!!

Jonathan: "My thrifty Scottish soul is happy. We just got a free movie!"

So we did. And we watched it. "Cinderella Man" is a good movie. The daddy is the hero, and his wife loves him and cooperates with him, and his kids love him and obey him. It's amazing. The boxing was rather intense for my taste, so I buried my face in Maggie's shoulder at tactical moments, and there's this perpetual stream of profanity running from the manager, but oh, it's a good movie.

5 comments:

Lisa Adams said...

Oooo ... I love the movie, too. I was just at Movie Gallery tonight and saw it, and I want to watch it again. Maybe with my family over break.

I'm sorry I didn't get to say goodbye to you, and thank you for the Ordinary Princess! Have a wonderful break, dear!

Gabi said...

Oh, his wife definitely has a side as well... a very important side. She understands that if she doesn't let her husband do this, he'll become just a spiritless shell of a man. And she loves him and doesn't want to see that happen. But she also loves her entire family. She knows that if he gets seriously injured or killed (which is a distinct possibility), they will lose their children, either to death or to being farmed out to relatives. (Both possibilities were explored early in the movie.)

It all comes back to idealism and pragmatism. :) Looking at it from a pragmatic (and feminine) perspective:

Braddock took a HUGE risk that put his family in serious danger. Sure, he wanted to box really, really badly - it was his passion. But the whole "follow your heart" thing holds little water when put alongside the loss of your children. At least, I hope that's the case. Somebody - his wife, in this situation - needed to weigh the pros and cons for everybody.

Fortunately (Providentially) for Braddock, the risk paid off - but not, arguably, because of "heart following." Only faith that God would bring him through should possibly be a justification for what he did. And while we're unsure of his motives on that score, we at least know that this is the only justification his wife (very bravely) accepted.

...so speaks the resident utilitarian/pragmatist person ;)

Pinon Coffee said...

Gabi--

Just keep being sensible. :-) Happily, it doesn't usually conflict with my idealism. Theoretically, the ideals sort of intersect with reality. If they don't, there's something wrong somewhere. I think I should also distinguished between Reality and reality.

But Providence is good, and God is good, and in this world we will have trouble but at the last, all shall be well. :-)

I agree, Mrs. Braddock has an important side. Husbands need wives to give them perspective. :-) But then, it's hardly fair to say she was thinking only of the family and he only wanted to box. They both were trying to do right, which is why it's such a heart-wrenching decision. And it's another reason to be grateful to Providence.

Anonymous said...

You forgot the part about Gabi skipping around the store when we found it :-D

Yes, definately a movie worth failing a Logic Final for. ;-) Except I didn't fail it. Hopefully. :-D

Anonymous said...

Interesting... I wonder if the guy sympathizing with guy and girl sympathizing with girl thing holds broadly?
Great movie. So's Mr. and Mrs. Smith... to my great shock and surprise at the end of the movie.

- Nic