Wednesday, March 15, 2006

On sin and knowledge and humility and love

For we know in part and we prophesy in part; but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.

Let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he falls.

Who can discern his [own] errors? Acquit me of hidden faults. Also keep back your servant from presumptuous sins; let them not rule over me; then I will be blameless, and I shall be acquitted of great transgression.

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.

But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. And do not fear their intimidation, and do not be troubled, but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts.

Therefore we also have as our ambition, whether at home [in heaven] or absent, to be pleasing to Him.

For it is better, if God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right rather than for doing what is wrong.

Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins.

(NASB.)

2 comments:

Lisa Adams said...

Knowledge (understanding/perception), humility, and love are three central concepts in P&P ... I've been thinking through the relationships between them, and the corrupting influence of sin on each.

Anyway, thank you for reminding me of these verses. (And I use NASB, too. :)

Pinon Coffee said...

Yes! Sin messes up knowledge and love, it's very true. I think that's one of the quieter themes in P&P, but very much there. I am glad you've picked up on it and are purposely interpreting it thus. That also relates back to Augustine's connection of love and knowledge, and Dr. Walker's talk about how sin messes up reason.

And, of course, sin creates pride, but in humility is the way of life. :-) Pride and Prejudice wouldn't be itself without pride.