Wednesday, April 12, 2006

FRENCH FRIES!!

I had a french fry urge this evening while returning to Town Hall after putting chairs back in Founders 2 where they belonged. It was a lovely warm evening, with a full moon and everything. The trip was uneventful, except we found Bales and thence greeted Hannah. And, of course, the excursion generated a french fry urge.

So I pop back into Town Hall and announce to my roommate that I want french fries.

Kay: Like, from McDonald's?"

Me: Definitely from McDonald's.

Kay: Well, I have to write a paper, but it's only a ten-minute trip. We should go get french fries.

Ben and Heather start insulting McDonald's.

Me: But, Ben, I like McDonald's.

Ben: Well, then you just need to improve your taste.

Kirsten: Hey. She picked me for a roommate.

Ben: All right, you have good taste in roommates.

Heather: And you can eat french fries, like my sister. It's disgusting.

Ben: She can't eat french fries.

Me: But it doesn't make me fat.

Ben: No, but it's bad for you.

Heather: It hardens your arteries. You'll look just fine and then you'll die of a heart attack.

Me: Kirsten and I are going now. You should come get french fries with us.

Heather: I can't. I'm writing a feature article for tomorrow.

Ben: It'll make you sick.

(We're halfway out the door.)

Ben: And it'll ruin your complexion!

Kirsten and I find this very amusing: the consequences of french fries are death, sickness, and a bad complexion, in that order. We're still laughing when we pass a group of girls sitting on the grass between the dorms. We explain the situation.

Me: You should come get french fries.

They decline. We keep going. Jennifer, Rose, and Jonathan are all standing about in front of the dorm. We explain the situation.

Me: You should come get french fries with us.

Jennifer: Like, from McDonald's?

Me: Definitely from McDonald's.

Kay: So it's only a ten minute trip. And I have to write a paper.

Jonathan: But french fries are bad for you.

Me: You've been talking to your roommate again, haven't you??

Jonathan: No! Well, yes, but not about that.

Jennifer: I think I will come.

Me: Yay! Rose?

Rose: No, better not.

Jonathan won't come either. So we grab our purses and go get in the car. On the way, we see Maggie, walking in front of the dorms, all alone. I roll down my window.

Me: Maggie! We're going to get french fries! You should come!

Maggie: I was going to go sleep, but all right.

She came. We exhorted her not to sit on the Eden Troupe posters in the backseat, which Jennifer had likewise not sat on, and kept going.

Kay: Oh look. There are Jane and Bingley. Not getting sleep is bad for the complexion too, you know.

Maggie: What happened at rehearsal tonight? Everybody is talking about french fries. And Bingley has started giving Jane nutrition advice.

Kay: Nutrition advice? Like, oranges?

Maggie: No, telling her not to eat french fries.

We got french fries. They were very good. The stoplight in front of McDonald's was astoundingly short, but we decided that was okay because it gave us more time to eat our french fries.

We felt very collegiate. There's something charming and random about going and getting french fries with girl friends at ten o'clock on a full-moon-lit night. The group of girls was still sitting on the grass when we came back, so we shared some of our fries with them. Kay got to her paper and Maggie, presumably, to sleep. Life is good. :-)

3 comments:

sarah said...

Nice story! But how can you eat those disgusting little grease sticks? 8P 8P

Pinon Coffee said...

I'm glad you liked the story. I liked the french fries. :-)

Anonymous said...

The same way, Sarah, you can eat those old dining hall grapes with slimy white yogurt...