Thursday, May 11, 2006

I am what I am

I consider myself basically happy. My future is tremendously uncertain: I could be literally anywhere on the globe in another three months, doing anything. Or I could be home, still job-hunting. It is hard to leave, to go from the known and liked to a gray mystery. But God is good. It is written that He has ordained good works for me, from the foundations of the world, that I would walk in them. That is an encouraging thought.

Yet at the same time I love where I am. It took me a couple years to get reconciled, but now I see the beauties that do not reveal themselves to a casual transient. I know the rhythms of weather and plant and lake and groundhogs, of papers and plays and classes and chapel, of pleasant people all with the weirdest habits and ideas, most of whom I'll miss very much. I have sung the songs, and delight in their repetition and their newness. For the newest thing is not the one that has never been seen before: that way lies jadedness, perversion, and death. "How old is Spring, Miranda?" I never have to come back, but I wasn't here under compulsion to begin with.
I love the eccentricities and godliness of Dr. Hake, who glories in his Redeemer and always tries to come up with a new metaphor and circumnavigates the Bob daily with his prayer cards and has absolutely no fear of "what's done," possibly because he doesn't know what it is and possibly because he thinks what isn't done ought to be! For there is a greater reality than culture, and people are more than the literature they've experienced.

It's hard to be a joyful formalist with universal-truth and traditional tendencies, in a world of harsh laughter, free verse, and divorced and diverse ideas. It's quite impressively unfashionable. I think all my positions are true, which is why I am what I am, but I wish that others did not mind so much. It would be easier if I were a better writer. As it is, I will imitate better writers and write what I am given and keep track of my grammar and punctuation. For I believe that the mechanics of language matter, even if they are "only" customary.

I don't think I'm out of touch with reality. Some people are so worried about the "real world," as though we are not living now: they seem to think that the edgy and raw is more real than the good. It's not that the good is predictable: far from it: Jesus stepped on toes everywhere He went: but the good is good, even if He's not tame. And it's true and beautiful, for I believe in that old triumvirate. Misery is not prior to happiness. It has the upper hand in this world, but it was not and will not be forever.

As it is, I will bring my gold, dimly minted in the likeness of a far-off and unseen King, to His temple. For my gifts are His, and I am grateful that He gave them to me. If I'm wrong, and mint the portrait on the coins badly, please tell me.

8 comments:

h. e. c. said...

:)

i just want you to know carolyn, that while we stand on the opposite sides of many classroom debates, i have a great appreciation for you. and we've shared quite a few trying (latin, topics in philosophy.. haha) circumstances as well as delightful ones (non-fiction!)... and i ALWAYS LOVE YOUR SHOES.

:)

if i sound jaded, it is not directed at you. rather at an entire expirience that has certainly been different than i expected...

Campeador said...

I'm personally very happy to get into the "real world," whatever that exactly means. It won't be real in the sense that God is real, but it will certainly be more diverse, interesting, full of opportunities and (potentially) have less annoyances.

You lit. majors may, as you are wont, do whatever y'all wish. :) Seriously, we need more people writing things like Beowulf - remaining sensitive to modern culture and change while leaning from the Forms of the past. I'm inclined to think we could use some free verse too, but why argue about that? I probably won't be writing it.

Just stay close to God and remain open to change when your views don't quite match up with a reasonable understanding of special and general revelation. That's all anyone can ask for.

Pinon Coffee said...

:-) Right-ho. Hannah, you write the free verse, Campeador, you govern, and I shall attempt not to be unreasonable.

Pinon Coffee said...

P.S. Nonfiction rocked.

sarah said...

I think I will probably write free verse as well. ;) But I am glad that there are other people to write the sonnets, since I've never quite been able to get my head around them.

Lisa Adams said...

Beautiful post, dear. I love you and am going to miss you SO MUCH ...

Pinon Coffee said...

Firinnteine, thanks. You too, Lisa.

You have both never accused me of being too traditional. I admit it freely. :-)

Anonymous said...

I would just like to go on the record saying that you rock...and that it's ok (in fact, GOOD) to hold fast to truths you believe in and take everything back to scripture, whatever it is that's been going on and prompting you to post as you did. I luf you!

~Twynkletoes