Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Quote of the day

Dentist ::flipping his cool England tea mug around by the handle:: "I bet your cup won't do that."
Me ::with paper coke cup:: "Nope, mine isn't that cool."
Dentist ::discovering tea stains inside his cool England tea mug:: "It is cool, but it's pretty gross."

In other news, we did a bit of research on the three Anglicans martyred by Bloody Mary on Broad Street near Balliol College, Oxford, in 1555. They were Ridley, Latimer, and Cranmer: the Cranmer, the Book of Common Prayer Cranmer.

3 comments:

Campeador said...

Cool. Last fall I believe I saw the plaque marking that event by good 'ol Baliol.... not to be boasting or anything, mind you. :)

Joy said...

did you know that the nursery rhyme "three blind mice" is actually historically about those 3 guys? (the farmer’s wife being Mary, of course…)

Pinon Coffee said...

Campeador: AWWW! ::properly envious::

Firinnteine: I know. I was thinking their names sounded familiar too, before I read about them, I mean. I think they were important; one was quite old and a famous Anglican administrator and the other a famous preacher. One account I read was mildly infuriating: "These two men are so well-known it is not necessary for me to retell their careers," etc. A more modern account took better pity on my modern ignorance.

Sparks: No, does it really? I knew in a vague, abstract sort of way that nursery rhymes were connected to history, but I hadn't heard what that one was. :-)