Sunday, February 04, 2007

Snow and mountains

Some things, while quite important enough to blog about, just don't translate well into posts. As Claudio put it, “I were but little happy if I could say how much.” Take this last week. Wednesday morning I was quite single and it started snowing; Wednesday afternoon I started having Suspicions and Awana was cancelled due to snow; and Wednesday night I went home instead of to Awana and accepted Mr. Bales' offer of a Relationship. I knew we were friends, but this was a delightful surprise. Email is a useful and powerful thing, Verizon in-calling has gained my deep affection, and I always knew I liked snowstorms.

Aslan has bounded into my quiet Shire and suddenly my road has turned toward the high white mountains. They're beautiful and full of hazards and I have no clue where I'm going. I—still don't quite believe it. The scheduling and coffee-drinking will no doubt continue, but oh, I have a companion for the way. I don't know how long Aslan will lend him to me, but He knows the road ahead even if we don't, and anyway what do I have that I have not been given? Blessed be the name of the Lord.

My life has since resembled something on skis in a snowstorm. I was something on skis yesterday, which was part of it, up at Wolf Creek, Colorado. I enjoyed it, too. I've also had Tempest rehearsal; birthday shopping; two more Verizon in-calls ::insert smiley face::; leading worship; stew; good conversations with a couple dozen of my closest friends, mentors, and brand-new acquaintances; digital photos; ice in various manifestations; sunbeams and moonlight; hamburgers; address-sticker-ing and stamping of the women's ministry newsletter; a fair amount of coffee; nothing like a fair amount of sleep; dragons, green glass doors, and other-world riddles in a van; chili fries and a raspberry shake; and a (mandatory) skit which required me and my chicas to dress Goth with just whatever we happened to have brought for an overnight and we actually pulled off disturbingly well. Regrettably, the skit got cancelled before we had a chance to perform it and get redeemed. Bummer, dude. One chica went missing briefly and I decided our tribe's name must be the Lost-a-Goths. All of which adds up to a good blessing and a good reason to go to bed early tonight. If that was difficult to follow—I concur. :-)

I just opened a fortune cookie, and for once the fortune got it right. “Your loyalties will be rewarded.” When you said, 'Seek my face,' I replied, 'Your face, O Lord, I will seek.' ...I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and let your heart take courage; yes, wait for the Lord. (NASB)

2 comments:

Maggery said...

Wednesday morning I randomly picked up a pen, wrote a quote on our wing's quote-wall, looked at it, smailed, and thought of you.

Wednesday night I returned after sundry excited phone and text-message conversations, still glowing from tea, chocolate, and girlish squealing in Emily Rose's room. I looked at the quote I'd written that morning, and a little happy chill went up my spine. I'd written that morning, in blue ink:

"Placetne, Magistra?"

:-D :-P

Anonymous said...

There was much girlish squealing. I love you dear, and may you be blessed deeply, no matter how long or short a time you are lent Mr. Bales.

Praying for you!

~Lady Ancilla