Thursday, March 29, 2007

Getting to Awana


You know how sometimes all occasions do conspire against you? Last night I was trying to get to Awana. I really was. But it sure was difficult.
This map indicates where I was at 5:58 yesterday evening (Quizno's) and where I had been hoping to be at 5:50 (Awana).
Quizno's was astoundingly slow. Good, but slow. I pulled out of my parking place and headed south to the roundabout (the yellow 1), where I waited for a National Parks Service truck being driven at least twice the posted limit, with the driver chatting away on his cell phone. I reflected on the virtuous nature of Parks Service personnel.
I got to the corner of Main and Central, at the yellow 2, and surveyed traffic conditions. They were heavy. So I turned right rather than holding up progress and waiting to go left. I'd just go round the block; Oppenheimer just ahead had a light to get onto Trinity. Splendid. So I went way round the pond, finally got going east, and just about at McDonald's saw...people directing traffic. And flashing lights. And orange cones across the street. Uh-oh.
So I followed traffic and turned back north at the bank (yellow 3). I waited an interminable time to get back onto Central. One thing, it was really easy merging from Central onto Trinity, with it blocked off both ways!
So yeah. It just shouldn't have been that hard.

No comments: