Monday, March 26, 2007

Trip to Virginia

My blog has been rather quiet for the last week because I went to Virginia for a visit. :-) This was a happy thing.

Tuesday, March 20
Flew out. I got to watch the road we always drive to my grandparents' house as we went, for quite a long way, and pick out landmarks until the clouds covered the ground.
Kay picked me up and we went to dinner at the Potbelly Sandwich Works in Ashburn. It was fun, except for the howling guitarist.

Wednesday, March 21
Tiff and I went to PHC.
Lisa and I went to a bit of banking and then to Market Street. I got to say hi to April and Benavidez, which was fun. Then we squeaked in some shopping at Pville Marketplace.
I got to see Bales and approximately five million other good friends at chapel. :-) I sat next to Bales and tried to pay attention, but honestly can't remember who the speaker was.
We had lunch with various people including Trissie and Natalie H.
I sat around until it was time for Chorale.
Then I learned to play Halo. That was pretty sweet.
Then we went down the trail and then occupied one of the D5 lounges for a while. That was pretty sweet too.

"No, I don't blame you. You have no idea how many friends I've had snatched out from under me by boys. ...Why do you find this funny?" Trissie
"It's because you're a love potion." Me

"And pax vobiscum to you, too!" Natalie H
"A pox on your house, too!" Bales

"I think you have awakened my bloodthirsty inner something." Me

"Okay, break it up, break it up." Trissie
"I won't!" Me
"Try again." Bales

Thursday, March 22
Wing chapel with Dean Corbett--that was very good, all about hope and love and suchlike.
Lunch with Dr. Gruenke
Lisa and I had a nice talk.
I visited Dr. Mitchell's Democracy class, which was highly entertaining. I'd forgotten how much fun he is.
Then Bales and I walked to the Catholic bookstore and the library for a history book, some danceable CDs, and a collection of Wodehouse stories. We then had a photo shoot and a duel with trailside-lying sticks. He won, but it was a good fight. :-)
Then we went to hear Dr. Gruenke's announcement.
Kanary had me over to their house for dinner, and we read a bit of Heinlein aloud, which he proceeded to lend me.
We watched Ella Enchanted in D2, ending up with a stolen teddy bear. It was rather surprising and really funny.

"Did you have some comment? Or did I just ask you to comment about your book?" Dr. Mitchell to David S

"Aren't we all a mix? Sometimes I sit on the couch and eat potato chips, and sometimes I go out and do something noble. I weed the garden. Nobly. In a toga and sandals!" Dr. Mitchell

"Watching fifth-grade girls figure out kissing jokes is hilarious." Emily-Rose

"Bales, she's giving me a look. Call off the Carolyn. Please?" Emily-Rose

Friday, March 23
I visited Topics and made a controversial comment about sound and meaning of words.
Maggie and Rebekah T. had me over for some hospitality in their room.
Brittainy spoke for chapel.
Emily-Rose discussed courtship in connection with Tess of the d'Urbervilles for Brit Lit.
I had lunch with a lot of freshmen and Christina I.
I visited Linguistics and then found out that Carver and I didn't really disagree about what I said in Topics, it only sounded like we did from how I phrased it.
Bales and I studied geometry and Farsi (respectively) and then read Wodehouse.
Dinner was rather exuberant, and then we all piled into slightly too few cars to hang out at Tiff and Kay's house. That involved Scrabble (hurrah!), tea (I'd been wanting some), "The Princess and the Pea" from Faerie Tale Theater starring Eliza Minnelli, and the Ideal Husband outtakes. And Ben A put a kiwi in my hoodie.
Bales and I talked almost until curfew. :-)

"There's more to life than school, David." Amy A
"Like Scrabble." Katie T.

After Amy didn't predict the Topics quiz: "The quiz priestess has failed us." Emily-Rose
"I'm sorry!" Amy A

"Can someone restate the question?" Clarice
"We're already in the midst of answering it. Don't confuse us with clarity!" Dr. Hake

"I came up with this really disturbing theory over breakfast, and I think it's Tess' fault." Emily-Rose

"What do I do with a kiwi?" Emily-Rose
"Well, stop bouncing it!" Carolyn
"Where'd we get a kiwi?" Tiff
"Out of Ben's pocket." Carolyn
"I should make you empty your piockets before you enter my house." Tiff

"So why do I have the camera?" Bales
"Because I've taken pictures of everyone else in the room, and it's high time someone took pictures of me." Carolyn

"How many minutes?" Ryan A, on security, wondering how long before he'd have to let me back into D2. I guess you had to have been there.

Saturday, March 24
I visited "Tale of Two Cities" rehearsal and was properly disturbed by the French peasantry, especially the storming of the Bastille and the guillotine. It was amazing.
I had lunch with Bales and Katy G.
Then I went up to the Soundboard room and Heather showed me what she does up there and let me listen to parts of the podcast. :-)
I played Halo and air hockey with Bales; he won the former and I the latter.
Then I ran to the grocery store and McDonald's with Lisa, buying chips and chocolate kisses.
We hurried home and got ready for the dance.
That was splendid fun; lasted five hours and was worth every sore muscle.

"Wear the piano; don't let the piano wear you." Heather

"Great interaction with Paul-David." April
"What?" Paul-David

"Yeah, He's definitely been faithful." ::glances aside:: "I'd better go storm the Bastille." Jessica M

"Offstage, dead people!" April
"We're not dead yet!" dead person
"Dying people!" April

Sunday, March 25
Visited Catoctin Presbyterian. It was a nice, little church; I don't think I've been to a little church since my church was little, getting on for ten years ago.
I packed, talked to Emily-Rose and Meredith, and proceeded to hang out with Bales until Rose and Kanary came to take me to the airport.
I got through security and discovered I had a good two and a half hours, so I sat down and had a proper lunch and quiet time.
Then I spent the flights home writing a sonnet (a very bad sonnet) and thank-you notes, and reading the Heinlein book.
I also slept a bit, for which I was grateful, as I got home rather late and had to work the next morning. :-)

"And then I'll go do my dusting and consign you to couple goopiness." Emily-Rose

2 comments:

Lisa Adams said...

Yes, we did have some good talks despite the craziness ... and you encouraged me so much. Come back soon :).

Peter S said...

Nice cheerful happy quotes! Thank you.

- Peter S (from deep in the bowels of assignments and tests)