Thursday, May 10, 2007

Friendship

I just came across a post from The Point (it really was The Point this time) on friendship. It caught my eye because it was about a 12th-century monk, but I kept reading it because I love good friends. :-)

A random patient came in yesterday. He was just some high school guy; I pry wouldn't have thought anything particular of him, but he was reading the Silmarillion. We struck up a conversation that lasted nearly half an hour. It wasn't about our life histories; it had nothing to do with anyone's love drama or medical issues or finals or current events or even movies; it was, in fact, fun. I hadn't had a good talk like that for a long time. We may not see each other until his six-month appointment, but--it's nice that there are kindred spirits around.

There's a lot to be said for being on good terms with everybody and having the social skills to be able to have fun no matter who you're with, but there's also a lot to be said for a good solid friendship, the kind that has been around for years. And I think it right and proper to want the company of your friends. How sad, if you don't!

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Long live lifelong friendships!