Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Grumpy

It's a grumpy day.

"You're a fine young man. You've got a fine job, and you're engaged to a fine girl. And you're lost in a fine forest. What more do you want?"

Unfortunately, all occasions do conspire against me. To start with, there's actually nothing wrong. My alarm went off at its usual early hour, but I'm not sick or anything. The traffic was heavy, but I wasn't particularly late. I arrived and work and informed the good doctor that I was grumpy, and he started saying things like, "Oh no!" and "No grumpies!" and "But I depend on you to keep me from being grumpy!" and shooting rubber bands to cheer me up. And it started to work, gosh-darn it.

Then our sweet dental shadow turned up, back from her semester, and we discovered half a dozen mutual friends.

Then I got a cup of coffee. The brew turned out well today.

Then I started my morning calling, and wouldn't you know it? The very first patient was one of those with a sense of humor.

"Good morning, this is C-- from Dr. M's office," I said, as I always say.

"Good morning, C-from-Dr.-M's-office," he replied. He even sounded pleased that he had an appointment.

What do you do with a day that won't let you be grumpy?

No comments: