Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The value of an ethical appeal

I just had an interesting experience. A man walked into my office and wanted to know the building owner’s phone number.

I headed toward my list, looking for it, and tried to find out what he wanted it for. Was something wrong?

"No, nothing's wrong. I’m a contractor. I restore wood."

I gave him the owner’s wife’s work number and said that was the number I usually had the most luck with.

"And what’s her name?"

Hmm. If he didn’t even know the owner’s name, that made me nervous. He definitely didn’t need their home number. But I did tell him her name.

He looked concerned.

Was something the matter?

"No! Nothing's wrong! I’d really rather talk to her husband."

I said I was sorry, I didn’t think I was allowed to give that number out.

"Well, why not? I’m not going to tell them you gave it to me. I don’t even know who you are."

Sorry. It was the principle of the thing. I don’t trust people who promise not to tell if I do something unethical for them.

"The principle of what thing? Look, I’m a contractor. I restore wood, houses, cedar paneling. Your buildings badly need restoring."

No argument there.

"You’re trying to protect them from you don’t even know what!"

I was, actually. Perceptive of him. I asked if they’d contacted him.

"No, they haven’t. He probably doesn’t even know I exist."

Sorry, I’m afraid I can’t give that number out. I think he should try her work number.

She wasn’t there. He argued a bit more with me.

I finally smiled. "I can be very ornery."

"Well, good for you!" And he stomped out, to get the number from next door, apparently.

No, he definitely didn’t need the building owner’s home phone.

No comments: