Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Office highlights

Happy Juneteenth! A patient came in and wished me that, and not being familiar with the holiday, I wikipediaed it. Today's the day of the Emancipation Proclamation. A little bit later, another patient said she knew about Juneteenth, too: back when she was a girl in Texas, the white teenagers used to sneak off and dance at the black people's barbecues.

A. A. Milne's grasp of human nature came up in the general discussion early yesterday morning, and so I tracked down the 100-Acre-Wood Personality Quiz. It's been amusing us for two days. Thus far, we've got four Kangas, three Poohs, and one who comes up Pooh half the time and Kanga the other half. One has yet to take it. We got a trifle suspicious at that point and started inventing answers to see if any other results were possible! Yes: we've managed to come up with Piglet, Roo, Tigger, Rabbit, and Owl, but try as we can, we can't manage Eeyore. One can only wonder.

I discovered today that you don't put milk in an omelette. That would explain why mine always fall apart. Also, inspired in part by Cimorene from Dealing with Dragons and in part by Sophie, my hiking buddy and splendid cook, I investigated recipes for cherries jubilee. We'll see. It's amazing how motivational food websites are to make you want to cook.

There's a picnic tonight, and Becca and I have been in close conference figuring out who's bringing what. I dearly love these pulled-together-at-the-last-minute events.

I love summer...dearly, dearly love summer... it's gorgeously warm today. It's too warm in the sun, but tolerable in the shade, and wonderful in here with an air conditioner. Sunny...blue skies...I walked down to the library over lunch, and came back with two novels by authors I've never tried and a disinclination to wear shoes.

No comments: