Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Quote of the day

Me: "That'll be $115 for today."
Boy: "WHOA! ...I'm worth it."
::his mother and I exchange glances::
Boy: "Wait, did you say $115 or 150?"
Me: "$115. Would that extra $35 tip the balance, so you aren't worth it any more?"
Boy: "No, I'd still be worth it."
Me: "I can see we don't suffer from low self-esteem."
Mother (dryly): "That's something we really worry about in teenagers."

Earlier today, I had a lovely discussion with two entirely unrelated patients about literature. We have heard good things about Brothers K, like Shakespeare, wish Virginia Woolf wrote with more logic and less stream-of-consciousness, find Joyce incomprehensible, and think Faulkner is really depressing.

1 comment:

Peter S said...

I like that boy...it takes something--a sense of humor, perhaps, or maybe just pure hubris--to say something like that.