Monday, July 30, 2007

Summer is over and gone

Perhaps technically we have another two months of summer, but really it's done, and this is how I know: my house-sitting job is over today.

I took care of the cat, brought in the mail and papers, and took out the trash. It felt like a vacation cottage on Chincoteague--except better connectivity. :-)

The cat, incidentally, was quite a character. He's a young little thing, in contrast to my own beloved Lilly, and he plays. I'd forgotten that young cats will randomly attack things, like shoes, and zipper-pulls. Bo-Kitty drove me nuts most of the time, actually. He got underfoot. He tried to wake me up at 5:30 whether I wanted up or not. He would stalk across my computer keyboard. He noticed when I headed for the bathroom, bounded in ahead of me, and sat on the potty seat. I'd shove him off and he'd sit in the bathtub and lick around the drain. So I'd draw the curtain--that was his hint I was about to start the water--and lean dramatically toward the faucet. Bo would zoom out of there like I'd lit his tail on fire and yowl for me to open the door. So I'd open it and he'd leave and sit on the outside, yowling to be let back in. Honestly.

But he also had his endearing qualities. He liked to linger in whatever room I was in. And sometimes, every once in a while, he'd come curl up next to me.

So summer is over, and I've said goodbye to the cat. I get to go home and curl up with my own cat now.

No comments: