Wednesday, August 08, 2007

So true

"Poets Billy Collins and Tess Gallagher comment on the relationship between writing and housekeeping. (Anyone who's ever been a student will recall how sparkling clean your house got the day before a big paper was due.)"

Yup. Definitely. Marian once told me she could always tell when I had a deadline for that very reason--of course, Marian being Marian knew most of my deadlines better than I knew them myself. :-) I still think it very good for all our souls that they had us do the dorm chores.

The rest of the article was pretty good too. It reminded me of Edith Schaeffer's The Hidden Art of Homemaking. Thanks, Firinnteine, for the link.

2 comments:

sarah said...

Housekeeping is good for the soul. Definitely. Doing worthwhile, helpful things with one's hands, and all that.

Jonathan said...

You're welcome. :-)

I think I recently read the Billy Collins poem she's referencing, too.