Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Corned beef and a bobtism and a philly cheesesteak

Having just made it back from the east coast, it seemed only right and proper to blog about it. I didn't exactly have internet access while I was gone: that's the reason for my long silence. I didn't really ignore you, I promise.

Saturday, March 15: Becca and I flew out. The layover in Dallas was long and slightly traumatic: I couldn't see my flight on the computer screens, and when I finally tracked down my carrier, the lady was rescheduling everyone in line in front of me. I got up to the counter and timidly poked my itinerary at her: "We don't go there!" "But-- but--" "We work through United for that destination. Gate B-30." Phew. I was on the phone with Rebecca once she found her gate, and hung up with, "Lord willing, I'll see you at Dulles." A man nearby said, in a soft Texas drawl, "Sweetheart, you're in Dallas." :-) Em and Jonathan picked us up at Dulles without any problems, and we picked up Kay for some midnight McDonald's.

Sunday, March 16: Becca and I went to church with Jonathan, lost abominably at a quick round of Risk, and then headed back to Kay's for a nap before the wedding shower. I was well and truly showered with nice things, including a few scandalous ones. My friends must love me. ;-)

Monday, March 17: I dropped off Kay so she could fly to London, and picked up some scones before Becca and I ventured out to shop in Leesburg. We really wanted a purse for me, but somehow each wound up with a pair of shoes. These things happen. ::shrug:: From there we went back to campus, picked up Jonathan, picked up butter and buttermilk for the St. Patrick's party, and made Irish soda bread to go with Ben and Lisa's corned beef and cabbage. We even found Kanary's place, which is rather remarkable, as I hadn't been there in months and when I did go, it was always as a passenger, and Jonathan chiefly goes there at night, again always as a passenger. So we were navigating entirely by subliminal memories and group-think. (Do we turn here? Yes. No. I don't remember the road being paved. It wasn't paved. But it must be that road because I definitely don't remember this hill...) The party was delightful--lots of nice people there, culminating with the St. Patrick flannelgraph from VeggieTales and The Quiet Man. Lisa navigated us back, so we didn't get nearly as lost returning.

Tuesday, March 18: Becca and I went and had coffee with Lisa at her house and talked wedding-stuff until we were all just about blue in the face. Life is good. :-) After that we wandered over to campus, socialized for a bit, and Jonathan and I darted away for a bit of a dinner-date before a Macbeth reunion (thank you, Maggie!), candlelight ceremony (thank you, Emily-Rose), and bobtism (thank you, Turner, I think). At this point Jonathan and I took a deep breath and a long walk under the stars.

Wednesday, March 19: Jonathan's parents came and picked up Becca and me. We dropped off Becca with her friends in the area, and headed up to Jersey, where they live. The traffic on the Beltway was excessive, in my opinion, and it was a gloriously rainy foggy afternoon. But we got up into areas I'd bever been before, and I thoroughly enjoyed the drive. At their house I met David (Jonathan's brother), Lucy (the older dog), and Bowser (the younger dog).

Thursday, March 20: I think this is the day Jonathan and I met with his pastor for the pre-marital counseling. He was very nice, and I was glad to get to do it in person. We've been managing with 3-way calls (yay Verizon!).

Friday, March 21: Mrs. B took me out to lunch with five of her friends, chiefly church ladies. We got along splendidly. :-) We also got a good way through the invitations. They had to be measured, sliced, hole-punched, punched with the fancy hole-punch, and then stitched together. The Bs helped a lot--I'd never have been able to get them all done myself.

Saturday, March 22: Jonathan and I went to Philly with his friend and friend's new wife. We did all the touristy stuff I'd never done, not having visited there before: the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Benjamin Franklin's house and post office and press; and we also stood in line for 35 minutes for the best philly cheesesteak in town. (Jim's.) It snowed on us while we were there, and I was slightly bitter. We came home and worked on invitations again.

Sunday, March 23: Easter Sunday! For Jesus is risen! :-) We went to church--so fun! They had a little orchestra and a choir, and they sang good songs, and the pastor preached the resurrection, and the whole place was full of toddlers and teenagers and parents and Jonathan's friends and people who generally looked happy to be there. And as I was leaving someone gave me a helium balloon. I don't know why, but I didn't argue. :-) After church we put on Return of the Jedi and finished the invitations. When you get yours, do you know that those are real invitations, nothing pre-made about them.

Monday, March 24: Home! Albuquerque looked so good with the trees coming out, and it was warm, and Rebecca kindly picked me up and even recommended buying groceries on the way back so I'd have something to eat. :-)

Today: Back to work!

1 comment:

MagistraCarminum said...

Welcome home! I've been thinking of you, and praying for you, and am so pleased with the update. I laughed all the way through! :-)

Chris