Monday, April 21, 2008

Fun with acupuncturists

There are actually three Beccas who work in this building, between our office and the one next door, and bright and early this morning, one of the other Beccas dropped in to pay me a visit. Really early. My coffee hadn't even finished perking.

"You've got a bunch of packages at the acupuncturist's," she said, gesturing. "Big ones."

I'd seen the UPS we-left-you-a-package-over-there note already, so I thanked her and said I'd go get them in a little bit. She gave me a funny look, but left, and I went to listen to the answering machine messages.

Halfway through message three, I heard our door bang open. Someone swept inside like a mighty wind. "HELLO??" she shouted.

I stopped the machine and went up. "Good morning, can I--"

"We have you packages!" she announced.

"Oh, thank you," I said. "I was going to come over in a little bit."

"You come NOW," she said. "I cannot work until you packages are gone!"

Oh. I come now.

These packages, know you, ought never to have been delivered on Friday at all. When Shirley ordered them, she specifically told them to wait till Monday because we weren't going to be here. Well, they delivered them Friday anyhow, and gave them to the acupuncturist. Why the acupuncturist took them if she couldn't keep them, I can't tell you. Sigh.

Anyway, I grabbed my extremely cute coral trench coat and went. We trailed over, up, around, and behind, to the acupuncturist's. She showed me into the little room, where four large 40-pound boxes awaited me. She did not offer to help. I hoisted one, went around, in front, down, and across. Back in my office, I explained things to Amelia and asked if she could possibly cover the front. She could, and as I trooped back and forth, I saw her greeting patients, answering the phone. Nice Amelia. Up, around, down, across, up, around....

I've done my weight lifting for the next month now. Personally, I think it was an evil scheme on the acupuncturist's part to drum up more business. But all was not lost: the coffeepot finished while I was out and about.

No comments: