Saturday, October 10, 2009

No, we're not from Ohio

For my birthday, we went to Virginia Beach last weekend. It was wonderful. First we went and drove down the boardwalk, but it was too touristy, there was nowhere to park, and the used book store I'd carefully scoped out online was closed, as in permanently.

So instead, we went to Sandbridge beach, just south of there. It was charming: not too busy, you drove through a cute town getting there (especially if you got lost on the way), and the day was breezy and sunny and generally perfect.

Jonathan built elaborate fortifi-cations, and I had a beach towel and an Agatha Christie. The tide rose while we were there and oceaned his construction. Happily, the towel was high enough up, I did not get oceaned.

While he was in the water, a couple walking along the beach stopped. The man addressed me.
"Are you with him?"
I dragged myself back into consciousness, and acknowledged I was.
"Where are you from, if you don't mind my asking?"
"Richmond."
"Oh, Richmond? You were so white, we were wondering. I was guessing Ohio."
!!!
That above, by the way, is the couple that thought we were from Ohio.


As we were fixing to leave, I wrote the date in the wet sand. A little boy watched me. He then carefully turned to another patch, and started writing something himself.

3 comments:

V-Dawg said...

Glad to hear you had fun. If you head back to Virginia Beach, you might want to check out some of the museums in the area. The Marine Science Museum is rather interesting, as it has various sea and shore creatures, information about oceans and beaches in general, and so forth. I haven't been to the Mariners' Museum in awhile, but it's somewhere around Virginia Beach, and has various exhibits about ships--I seem to recall it having some very beautiful model ships.

Joy said...

hehe. What a nosy couple! Although, if they had asked us, I would have had to say they were right. Tom IS from Ohio!

Pinon Coffee said...

V. - good to know. One of these days we'll have to look into those.

S. - That's really funny. Maybe next time I should say, "No, but we have a friend who's from Ohio"!

There were a lot of little bitty guys there that day. I bet yours would like it, too. :-)