Thursday, December 10, 2009

Power outage

This evening as Jonathan was leaving to pick me up at work, a neighborhood tree fell over and would have squashed him and Olwen if two or three convenient power lines hadn't caught it. Naturally, they started sparking and glowing odd incandescent colors. This was quite the experience for Jonathan, who had just come out of a final.

Happily someone called 911, and by the time he and I made it back, police had blocked off the road and switched off the power... to our entire development. This meant no more risk of sudden electrified tree torches; also, alas, no more electric burners or microwaves.

It would have been inconvenient, but I adore power outages, especially when my husband hasn't just been squashed. We lit a couple candles and the oil lamp, and had a delightful picnic supper. We went outside and could actually see stars. In the city! Real stars! And afterward, we packed up our computers and went to hang out at the library. Here, they have heat and light and internet.

I was going to spend the evening doing something, possibly feeling guilty about not running around like crazy cleaning and getting things ready. But I think God sent me a free evening. What a shame! I have to go hang out at the library and catch up on correspondence and magazines!

I'm also grateful that Jonathan, as he put it, didn't have a "truncated existence." :-)

No comments: