Monday, January 18, 2010

Word games

Jonathan's parents came to visit Meg (and us), and this evening she decided to take a 4 1/2 hour nap. So the rest of us played games. We get pretty intense about Boggle, let me tell you. I won.

Regarding my use of the word "fere", with great disgust: "It's an archaic word. She got it out of a poem." Jonathan

Later:
"You sounded so affronted that I got it out of a poem." Me
"I was." Jonathan
"Kanary sent to me." Me
"And that makes it better?" Jonathan
"Yes!" Me
"Kanary had an Assyrian beard." Jonathan
"Yes, he did." Me
"Red herringed!" Jonathan

Well, despite such dubious provenance, it's still a good poem. I may have posted it on here before; I can't remember. In fact, once Jonathan read it (in a grand Sco'ish accent, nae less), he admitted it was awesome enough I was allowed to get the word from it. :-)

"Fere," incidentally, means companion or spouse. It's connected to "faran," as in to "fare forth" or "fare thee well," so a fere is apparently someone you travel with. It's quite a nice word, really.

2 comments:

E E Holmes said...

Hah, that's a great exchange. And Kanary makes an excellent Red Herring.

Jonathan said...

*trying to decide how to respond...*

Ah, there it is.

"You should see the beard NOW!"

(I'd forgotten that poem....)