Monday, April 26, 2010

A cheesy post

Not speaking of mythical creatures, the other day we bought a Magna-size tub of ricotta cheese. This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite foods. It's somewhere between cottage cheese and whipped cream, and I've had a lovely time experimenting. We put it on crepes, with strawberry jam and without; we piled it on a (disintegrating) omelette; and I've been eating it by the bowlful with blueberries and maybe a little honey or agave, like yogurt or ice cream.

I also have spinach in the freezer and pasta shells in the pantry, and mean to make stuffed shells out of it this week. Yummy!

4 comments:

The Minnesotan with the German-Irish Name said...

Ricotta cheese! I just had a tub that I got a couple of good meals out of.

Meal 1 was a calzone with ricotta, shredded mozzarella, spinach, about half a can of tomato paste, and pepperoni, folded into a pizza crust. 425 degrees til golden brown. Ben and I split half of it for supper, and by the time I got to the frig the next morning, Ben had midnight-snacked the last half. I was disappointed.

Meal 2 was a casserole made by layering a large can of a diced tomatoes (heated to bubbly, with 1/4 c. of couscous stirred in), spinach, ricotta, and cooked ground turkey. It was really good, although I will probably leave the the spinach out next time. Pre-cooked zucchini or eggplant might work better. 350 degrees til bubbly--takes about 25 minutes.

So those are my two recent ricotta recipes. Crepes with ricotta sound intriguing--next time...

Pinon Coffee said...

Ooh, yummy! Those sound really good. I'll definitely have to try them.

The Minnesotan with the German-Irish Name said...

Oddly enough, a friend of mine just posted a recipe for ricotta-lemon COOKIES! So: http://summerharms.blogspot.com/2010/04/ive-never-used-ricotta-cheese-in-cookie.html

Pinon Coffee said...

Ohh my goodness... it's definitely lemon-ricotta season...