Sunday, October 31, 2010

Reformation day

Pastor Joe did a children's sermon today, and it was such a crackup. "I have just one question for you guys today. What day is it today?" "Halloween!" "That's right! It's Reformation Day!" Love it. He's always hilarious.
My own child is going to dress up as a blue fairy once she wakes up from her nap. My mom bought the wings for her about six months before she was born, and on Friday I made the skirt to go with. I used blue tulle and a layer of sparkly white tulle, and I think it turned out rather pretty. (White elastic would have been better, but you work with what you've got, right?) I also added the organza flower-poof to the back of the wings. She's going to wear this with a white leggings with silver dots and a white shirt. I can't wait. :-)

What we can't decide is what to do with ourselves this afternoon. I was going to have a party, but the initial guest list didn't work out and I never got around to inviting anyone else. We would kind of like to go hiking because it's a lovely day, but I'm having trouble finding anywhere good nearby. I just can't tell from the online guides what would be fun with a small child, what would be dorky, and what would be insanely overambitious. Oh, and I'm irrationally opposed to paying entrance/parking fees. I really want to go hiking in New Mexico, preferably at East Fork, but that's not convenient for a day trip. Decisions, decisions...

3 comments:

V-Dawg said...

Are you intending this to be a generic blue fairy, or is there some relation to the Blue Fairy of Pinocchio?

Pinon Coffee said...

Oh, just a generic one. I'd forgotten about the one in Pinocchio (not a favorite movie). As it turned out, Jonathan and I dressed up as "Scots Presbyterians." Jonathan had his tartan and flask from the wedding, and I wore a plaid skirt, brown shawl, and perky little hat. And we had a fairy daughter. Changeling, maybe?

V-Dawg said...

Sounds like you had good costumes.
You mentioned the movie of Pinocchio (I assume you mean the Disney movie); have you not read the book it's based on? Although I did like the movie--among other things its animation was groundbreaking and beautiful--the book is superior in some respects. I think the author has a stronger grasp on human, and puppet, tendencies to sin.