Saturday, January 22, 2011

Going green... no, not like that

It looks like my color for the start of this year is green. This sounds very symbolic, but it wasn't really. I go on color sprees... last fall it was purple and gold, and for November and Advent it was rust and red. But somehow, now that it's January, I want most of those put away and I'm surrounding myself with green.

My houseplants were all kind of cranky and pale after two weeks of neglect from Kentucky, but when we got back and put away Christmas, I was able to rearrange them near windows they'd like better and they're all much happier. My Christmas cactus, hibernating peppermint, and scheffleras (remember Bertie Woozle from the dentist's office days? still thriving) are all sprouting new little growth everywhere, which is a cheerful sight in January, and even the two-year-old poinsettia is looking less scrawny than it might.

I have some nice new green things, too. Today Old Navy was having an extra-50%-off-clearance sale, and I came home with a green long-sleeve tee and a green sweater, among other things. Then for Christmas Mom gave me a set of green bathmats (thanks, Mom!), so I redid my bathroom from a lime green into a more wintry, foresty green with a white curtain.

AND... I'm still really excited about this... at the antique mall in Kentucky, I got a set of eight brilliantly green pressed-glass saucers and dipping bowls. They look incredibly graphic and snazzy with my black-and-white dishes. And before you ask, yes, I did fit them into my cabinets. :-) Actually, Jonathan did it. When he emptied the dishwasher, he just put them up in a convenient cabinet, and there they stayed. What I'm trying to figure out is how to set a pretty table using them, and what more kinds of foods go into tiny plates and bowls besides various dips. There must be some kind of cold soup, maybe? But is it good cold soup? Petit fours or dim sum or tapas would be adorable, but they look like a lot of work. Or we could just do like Lewis' dwarfs and eat a lot of servings off our small dishes, so that something was always being refilled for someone and at the end we'll draw straws for the unlucky one to do the washing-up. That seems unsatisfactory. As for setting the table, maybe there are really cool napkins out there incorporating green and black? I could imagine a neo-midcentury-mod design that would be pretty cute with the mix of graphic florals, pressed-glass, and Asian swirlies I've got going. Suggestions?

My other excitement for the week was a little pink and gray dress I sewed for Meg! Places are starting to put out spring dresses, but I haven't seen one we couldn't live without, so I actually sewed one for her! I'll post a picture soon. I did the thing properly, even, and ironed and hemmed everything I should have. It's got a pink eyelet bodice lined with pink satin, straps with lace, and gray-and-pink pinstripes for the skirt. It also sports pink rickrack on the bodice and around the hem. All the fabric and trim were pieces I had on hand, so that's always fun. But best of all - when shopping for the right buttons to finish it off, I found Beatrix Potter buttons featuring the mouse Hunca Munca in pink and gray. What could be more perfect?

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Green is also liturgically appropriate in Epiphany. :-)

(I'm sure you are tremendously relieved to know this.)