Monday, January 31, 2011

More thinking about color

Now that I have a pretty re-done bathroom, my new project is the bedroom. I got inspired when the duvet needed washing and I discovered the comforter inside was white! Amazing! Forgot it was in there. So I gave the throw pillows new shams made from some of my brilliantly-colored scarves, in intense pink and bright blue and gold and a rather nifty one in white-and-mod-florals in jewel tones (Forever 21). I really like the exotic look with all our gray wintry January-ness.

What I want is for the room to be a cheerful conglomeration of bright jewel tones. I think that could even work with the red curtains. The problem is, bedroom linens are pretty pricey, not to mention hard to find in the right colors, and my scouring of the house sections at Target and suchlike hasn't turned up anything that looked promising. I tried painting a couple big canvases, but I've got my doubts. Also, the room isn't very big and it is full of dressers and bookshelves and Meg plays with anything within three feet of the floor, so a piece of (say) fascinating antique statuary probably isn't the best plan.

Readers, what do you recommend to add big, inexpensive color to a bedroom? I'm taking suggestions.

5 comments:

The Minnesotan with the German-Irish Name said...

When I was in college, I pinned a bunch of my more brilliantly colored skirts, dresses, and scarves on a clothesline strung across one wall. And since they were wall art, I didn't necessarily pin them up right-side-up! I want to do it again, but I'm not sure Ben will go for it.

-Elsa

The Raven's Landing said...

Post pictures! BHG had some ideas: http://www.bhg.com/rooms/bedroom/makeovers/editors-picks-our-favorite-bedroom-makeovers/?afterSlide=true&page=1
but I'm not sure they are actually helpful. Wal Mart sells 200 ct flat twin sheets for $4 a sheet, which makes for cheap and attractive curtains. Or maybe a colorful bedspread or quilt waiting to happen? The only other thing is to haunt thrift stores--just stop by regularly to see what they have and if you can decorate with it...other than that, I'm looking for ideas too.

DisplacedExtrovert said...

I'm having the same problem - I've been hunting for an Eggplant set of curtains for our bedroom. FINALLY found success in the bathroom section of Walmart (?) - beautiful, textured, fabric, and cost exactly $15. They look nothing like bath curtains!

Several of my friends have had great success hanging "swatches" of cloth on their walls... but I don't have the eclectic eye for that. YOU might! :)

DisplacedExtrovert said...

Also, have you thought of framing some color? Like, buy a large frame, and put a bold color in it... textured, random, paper, fabric, or anything flat! If you have the wall space, this would be at least Meg-friendly.

Pinon Coffee said...

Ladies, I'm liking these ideas! Thanks so much for sharing. I'll keep you posted if anything works.