Saturday, April 16, 2011

Going places

"They're very talented, and you can see exactly where they're trying to take us, but they don't take us anywhere nice. Don't try to tell me that the journey is the point of the journey. In that case, you can just as well take us somewhere nice. Puddleglum and I are staying here until you Mapquest us somewhere better." Jonathan

We were ranting, er, talking about why older authors are better than most 20th-century ones. :-) I think, if ever I have to write a dissertation on someone and have to look smart, I'll pick Robert Louis Stevenson because he's fun. I have enough to do, I just don't want to read someone who isn't going somewhere I want to go.


2 comments:

V-Dawg said...

Not really relevant, but I'm saying it anyway: I don't think Mapquest will take you anywhere particularly pleasant. I like Google Maps and Bing better.

Jonathan said...

I read a book once, belonging to Ben A, that talked about how RLS was one of the anti-Christian writers who helped bring down all things good and beautiful.

It wasn't a very good book. :-P RLS probably wasn't very hot on Christianity, but I'd much rather have been reading one of his....

Although, to my continued befuddlement, I like a surprising number of 20th century writings.