Sunday, September 18, 2011

I've got the beige carpet blues

"If I can cross [her] any way, I bless myself every way." - beige carpet, to me

Beige carpet has to be the most incomprehensible design standard out there, right in front of unwashable matte paint. What perverse zeitgeist decided that very light brown was appropriate for all rentals? Don't people have lives? I just spent the first part of the afternoon scrubbing grungy bits, sat down for a break, and knocked my Dr. Pepper over. So then I scrubbed it up.

I saw this one coming a mile off. We can't have meals in the kitchen because there's no room for a table or high chair, so I bought big area rugs for the dining room and living room and runners for the main traffic areas. Doesn't matter. There are still cracks between the throw rugs. (The beige carpet cackled when it saw this.)

I can only assume that some people are sufficiently coordinated to never spill brown drinks. I take off my hat to them. But I am reminded of a story Jonathan shared out of Sun Tzu. You don't want your general to be the most physically awesome person of all time, because then he can't identify with normal soldiers who, you know, get tired after marching all day. In the same way, the builders really ought to remember that some of us need more washable floors than a dreaded beige carpet.

Now that I think of it, beige carpet apparently doesn't even like itself, judging by how anxious it seems to become any color but beige.

3 comments:

The Raven's Landing said...

hah! that's a good point. the beige really doesn't like being beige.

Random tip, though: sparkling water does **wonders** cleaning carpet and upoltstery (particularly when its a fresh stain)

Pinon Coffee said...

Good to know!

Jonathan said...

I also have beige carpet. Bah.