Thursday, January 26, 2012

Not knit till now

There are tons of cute knitted projects around that I really, really want to try. There are ginormous knit blankets, cable-knit sweaters, and patterns of all varieties. Joann's even had a pattern card for fair-isle socks (!) in the yarn aisle. That's like, like, putting recipes in the meat row. I've done some crocheted projects this winter, but it's not the same, and I don't think I can get the look I'm going for with a crochet stitch.

I do not have knitting needles, never having knit, and I'm not going to rush out and buy a pair just like that. So my question to the all-knowing internet today was, "Can I knit using chopsticks as knitting needles?" The internet said yes, with reservations. I have moved one step towards a larger universe.

(P.S. Jonathan and I are re-watching Empire Strikes Back. Those movies are just full of quotes. It's as bad as Shakespeare.)

1 comment:

The Brain said...

With reservations, yes. The size of the needles controls the size of the loops, so if your chopsticks are very tapered, you can end up stretching the yarn as you push it onto the needles. If you are using relatively unfinished sticks (e.g., chinese takeout sticks), you may end up snagging / tearing / separating your yarn as you work. You may want to put some kind of stopper on the ends of the sticks so that your project doesn't slip off the end - if it does that, it will pretty much self-destruct. Followup questions should be directed to Jenny, though, as the real knitting genius of the family.