Monday, February 27, 2012

Three projects

Milani 116 Hot Pink, Revlon 250 Pink Freeze
 I put together THREE quick projects today which I thought I'd share.

First: ombre toenails. They turned out pretty cute. I swiped across the ends of my nails with the opaque Revlon polish, let it dry, and then painted over the entire nail with the sheer sparkly Milani one. I like it for a cheerful early-spring look.

Formerly white sneakers
Second, I picked up a pair of white canvas tennies to oxford-ify. These came from Wal-Mart for $5, so if they were a disaster, not much harm done. I painted them with red craft paint and then sprayed them with hairspray to hold it. Woo! We'll have to see how they hold up.
Pot pie


For my third project, turnip-and-chicken pot pie. The method was great, but the turnips were bitter. Next time I'll go with potatoes.

I cooked a giant chicken breast in the crock pot with the diced turnips, carrots, and onions, as well as a couple chicken bouillion cubes, a dash of sage and bay leaf, and salt and pepper. Then after Jonathan got home I shredded the chicken and put it all on the stovetop with a little milk, butter, and flour to make the broth thick like gravy. Then I tossed it into an oven-safe bowl, put a bought piecrust on top, and baked the thing.

Ideally, the crockpot would be stovetop and oven-safe so I don't have to use THREE pots, but oh well. I like this method because all the prep can be done early in the day when I have time and energy and then it comes together quickly for dinner.

No comments: