Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What my Valentine's Day looked like

I got some really adorable fabric last week, sort of red and turquoise satellite bursts on a white ground, and today during Meg's nap I took the leap and thought I'd make it up into a little jumper for her. I'd even already gotten a red turtleneck to go under it.

The first problem was that, contrary to my assumption, I did not know how to line a bodice. So I spent the WHOLE AFTERNOON fighting with it. I would consult the internet, it would let me down, and I'd fight some more. I finally got it put together, to discover it was way too late to start the Valentine's dinner I'd been planning.

So I got up Meg, went to pick up Jonathan, and he took me out for dinner. Then he took me to the electronics store to get a new camera battery charger (yes! yes! yes!).

We came home, and now that Meg was awake to try it on her, I discovered the second problem: the dress was completely, totally, and unfixably the WRONG SIZE. I had wasted all that fabric AND a whole afternoon I could have been doing something else. Meg started howling at me and I howled right back.

Jonathan, meanwhile, played with Meg and assured me he liked having subs for Valentine's dinner, he would have been uncomfortable with a clean house, and that practicing a new sewing technique is definitely not a waste of time. Would I like a glass of wine?

Handmade Ryan Gosling, eat your heart out. He's my valentine.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

Definitely relate to this one. I did the same thing two weeks ago, making myself delightful fuzzy slippers -- fighting with the seams being too thick to make it through the sewing machine with every step -- only to find out they were so small I couldn't even get my feet in. I just kept repeating, "It's a learning experience." :) Happy Valentine's Day!

Pinon Coffee said...

Oh no! What a disappointing slipper experience. Thanks for the encouragement, though - glad I'm not the only one...

Happy Valentine's Day to you too! Say hi to Adrianna for me. :-)