Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My sock drawer, and other fascinating subjects

I have a lot of socks. Now that I think about it, I haven't bought them in significant quantities since, oh, 1998, and they're finally starting to wear out! I got all excited about this, because when they wear out I finally feel justified in throwing them away and clearing out the drawer. Of course, it's the useful colors that wear out first, leaving me with Ripe Persimmon, Faded Lime, and Peculiar Patriotic Pattern.

So this week I blithely wander forth to buy socks. I like the style I've mostly got, where they're made of ordinary cotton and you turn the cuff down once or twice, and you can get them in lots of colors. Used to could, at least. Lo and behold, they don't make socks like that anymore. They make thigh-high socks, knee-high socks, trouser socks for dressy, heavy hiking socks, exuberantly pattered ankle-length socks that slip down into your shoe, and "invisible" lengths that really slip down into your shoe. Also, they tend to be black, white, or neon this season.

The exception is Gold Toe brand, which carries fold-down-cuff "bermuda" socks in black, white, and possibly brown. Why call them bermudas? They'd be hideous with bermuda shorts. Whatever.

They don't really have anything better online, except on disreputable-looking websites. Apparently fashion in socks changed when I wasn't paying attention. I should have stocked up in 1998! Oh wait... I did. Drat!

1 comment:

Em said...

For what it's worth, the little short socks (not the ultra-short, just ankle length) that are seasonal at Walmart (right now at Walmart they just finished with a green selection for St. Patrick's Day) don't seem to fall down into my shoes. My personal favorites are my black and hot pink Tigger socks. :) And I don't even wear pink.

Good luck! <3