Friday, January 11, 2013

Craft shelf ratio

Well, I haven't found the golden ratio of craft to books shelves, but I have rearranged my entire house and come to a new equilibrium.

Fine, it wasn't the entire house.

A friend who was moving gave me a new shelf, so I set it up in the bedroom (rearranging as I went like Rumor picking up force; don't worry, it's a Latin reference) and decided, somewhat arbitrarily, that it was going to be the new sci fi and fantasy shelf. If I put political theory books back in the corner, we might never read them, but we would hunt down Zahn in the remotest region of wherever when we need a Star Wars fix, so it was safe. I even fit them all on there, except Lewis and Tolkien. And I started a giveaway bag of some books I can now bear to part with.

Then I rejiggered the remaining books and got one set of shelves completely cleared off. I HAVE A CRAFT SHELF, Y'ALL! Obviously I started stacking craft supplies on it like there was no tomorrow. Or... like there was a tomorrow? Not sure which way that metaphor goes. It got full fast, is the point. Conveniently, all natural-colored baskets go together perfectly well. There's a lot to be said for having well-defined tastes. The photo boxes on the shelf are pretty eclectic, but since I don't think I picked any of them myself, I refuse to take the blame.

The shelf arrangement is still in progress. I was a little disappointed because the sewing machine is a space hog and takes up the entire top shelf, and additionally the new giant pretty basket that holds all my stamps and ink is another space hog and takes up most of another shelf. The new beading organizers have outgrown their box, and I need to figure out what to do about that. Nor have I actually gotten all my craft supplies collected onto it yet, since it's full but yarn and fabrics and paints and paper are still stuffed in bags and ottomans in corners all over the house. This Will Be Remedied.

But it's so worth it, to have as much accessible as there is. When you can get at the stamps without uprooting the entire room, you're so more more likely to use them. Meg has gotten quite good with her new stamp set and has started hankering after mine, which is... growth. I think. Hurray for a craft shelf.

And, a friend came over and asked if I'd redone the living room -- it looked so open and airy. YAY!

In other news, Jonathan made the mistake of sitting down on a dining chair this evening and it gave up the ghost. By my calculations, if this rate of furniture destruction keeps up, we'll be sitting on the floor in another nine months. I am comforted by the fact that the Lord has always provided -- the grace and the coffee are sufficient.

No comments: