Saturday, December 14, 2013

How we decide what to watch when the short people are napping

"Let's put on Henry the Fifth."
"Do we have Henry the Fifth?"
"I brought it into our marriage, so unless we've gotten rid of it, we have Henry the Fifth. And we wouldn't have gotten rid of it. It's a classic. I can't find Henry the Fifth. Here's Hamlet."
"I don't want to watch Hamlet."
"It ought to be here. Here's Romeo and Juliet, Pirates of the Caribbean..."
"Maybe this is a bad time to mention it, but I've never seen Henry the Fifth in our house."
"You wanna watch Hamlet?"
"I'll be spending a lot of time in the other room."
"Aw, don't do that."
"Oh, it's a cold wintry day. We'll watch Shakespeare."
 "Unless you prefer Romeo and Juliet?"
"Fine, bring on the mass murder and suicide - it's a step up from teenage suicide."
"Ha!"
"I didn't make that up - Data said that, and Picard just went ::facepalm::."

"Are you quoting me quoting Data?"

Also, in other news, this is the Mel Gibson Hamlet, which is quite old. I could tell because Mel Gibson looks really young. That would be because it was filmed in 1990. (Yikes.) So I amused myself with the who-else-is-in-this game. Ian Holm (Old Bilbo) was Polonius (didn't recognize him being annoying) and Glenn Close was the queen (She was on the front cover, so I got that). The uncle king was Alan Bates, whom I've never otherwise heard of. Then I asked IMDB who the girl was. Ophelia. That girl. Helena Bonham Carter. !!! She does go insane as Ophelia, but not batty Bellatrix Lestrange crazy, so... yeah. Kind of fun.

Jonathan: "See, if this were a fantasy universe, Fortinbras is really an enchanter who creates the apparition. And then he walks away with the kingdom."

Meg got out and tried to understand why Hamlet was being mean and crazy. Maybe she'll tell us when she figures it out.

No comments: