Saturday, January 11, 2014

Sailing the high carpet and growing pizza

"All right, sailors. Does everyone have their outfits on?" "No, Captain." "Well, get your outfits on! It's time to go!" "All right, you heard the captain, mateys. Get your outfits on, mateys." Meg pronounces "mateys" with a flourish, and relish, so that it comes out like "mighties."

She's got a good little fleet now. For Christmas and her birthday, I got Meg some Imaginext toys, the steampunk submarine with extendable claw and the Chinese junk with a sail and fins that pop out. They're very cool, and also they look fun strewn on the high sea/carpet. We have a lot of adventures with them. They are sufficiently cool that I got out my old Happy Meal treasure chest (from the Pirates of the Caribbean era), took out the safety pins it had been storing, and let Meg add it to her fleet. She filled it with telescopes, the anchor, a treasure map, and somebody's spare parrot. This fills me with glee.

Next on my wish list: female adventure toys. There are no girls anywhere in the entire Imaginext universe, unless you count maybe Wonder Woman who has an ugly outfit. This doesn't bother Meg, but I am a little disturbed that they apparently spawn like orcs and Minecraft zombeans. Maybe they're just like dwarves and they all look male. (Jonathan: "Is that really an improvement?") I would really appreciate some girl adventurers for my adventurous girl, who slays monsters in her spare time.


Also, Wall-E has ruined Meg's sense of farming. I tried to explain that the captain was mistaken and you can not grow pizza.
"I can do it. I throw grain on the ground and pizza comes up, and I go, oh! I can also grow carrots. I pull it out of the ground and chop it up and give it to Mr. and Mrs. Pteranodon."

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

That last part about Wall-E made me laugh with such wondrous happiness. :-D Thank you to Meg (and her amanuensis) for delighting my afternoon.